Thursday, August 26, 2010

Moonscape from my front porch


Here's a bit of fun from my front porch in south Gastonia. This is a moonscape about two days after a full moon. I've been eyeballing the light from a street lamp that pushes through my trees. It makes some great shadows on the lawn. But the picture has needed some extra kick.

I was on the phone talking outside late Wednesday night and noticed the full moon intermingling with the clouds and thought this might be a good time to knock off a few frames.

I noticed on the initial exposures how the moon was a little hot when I exposed for the lawn shadows. Instead of shooting a set of images for a high dynamic range composite, I decided to go old school. During the 15-second exposure, I used my hand to dodge out the corner of the frame where the moon was illuminating the sky. This effectively cut that part of the exposure to about 8 or 10 seconds, giving me a fairly well exposed single frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment