Friday, July 16, 2010

Visit to New Bern


Visiting a new city is always exciting. And getting a chance to stroll a historic downtown like New Bern, NC is a thrill, especially in that magic hour when the sun is low in the sky and creating all kinds of wonderful visual effects.

There's a wonderful old church in the heart of downtown New Bern (First Episcopal Church). Old head stones poke out randomly in the lawn surrounding the church. I was toting my 7- and 2-year-old so the opportunity to really create images was brief for me.

But I did have a moment to watch the sun move in and out of the clouds just long enough to see some light sifting through the trees. I shot two frames--one with very flat, even light and this one with the rays of light tickling the shadows. The flat-light image was too blue and dull. The sprinkling of sunlight added just a touch of warmth and depth to the scene.

Shot at ISO 200 with my 17 - 35 f/2.8 Nikkor at f/4 @ 1/160.

1 comment:

  1. Nice photo. Looking forward to what else you put up. Once you're settled in you should make a trip down to Colombia SC. Next to the capital building there is an old church with a crazy grave yard around it. Sounds a lot like this one. I've got a few shots I took there with the widelux I'll show you some time.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete